Thursday, December 8, 2011

Halflings by Heather Burch
4 stars
After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, seventeen-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret—and the wings that come with.

A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys’ powers, as well as her role in a scientist’s dark plan, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world.


I won't put any spoilers in here due to the fact the book doesn't come out until Feburary 1,  of next year.

Halflings started of very slow for my taste. We begin in Nikki's dream where she is being chased by wolves. What she doesn't know at the time, is that they are hell hounds. In come Mace, Vine, and Raven, halflings. Halflings are part angel and part human. They do not belong in Heaven or on Earth, they live somewhere in the middle just not belonging anywhere. Throughout the book they have to keep saving Nikki from all the evil that surrounds her. 

Of course what kind of book would it be if there wasn't a love triangle?

Well it's not much of a love triangle because if halflings fall in love with a human they look at as a disgrace and they get sent to hell. Kinda harsh, yeah? I did not fall in love with Mace or Raven, the two angel/human boys who are in love with Nikki. To me they were dense and cliche.I tried very hard to like either of them, but I just couldn't. I did like their little brother Vine, he is very innocent and cute. Whem you read the book, you'll know why!

The ending had me a little bit sad for Nikki and I am excited to see what the story holds next. I did love the whole concept of half angel and half humans. It was interesting. I liked the history that came with the book and I do like Nikki. She is strong, independent, and beautiful. We need to more female heroines and less damsels in distress. Even though at first the halfings were having to save her, towards the end she had that spunk I wish I could have. She might not be as bad a** as Katniss, but she can defintely hold her own.

Comments and discussions would be greatly appreciated.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Lovely Books. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig