Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Hollowland by Amanda Hocking

"This is the way the world ends - not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door."

Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland left of America, and nothing will stand in her way - not violent marauders, a spoiled rock star, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.


   I was very surprised that I liked Hollowland so much. From the first page until the very last I was entertained. At times Remy, the main character, got on my nerves. I am all for a strong willed and independent woman in the literature world. But sometimes the way she acted made me so mad and the way she treated a boy who was head over heels in love with her made me even more mad. We get it, you don't want to feel anything after all the zombies have taken away all the people who have meant something in your life. It is understandable sure but it doesn't give anyone the right to act like a jerk.
         Opening credits, basically we find out very quickly that Remy is searching for her 8 year old brother. Apparently he is sick and is top priority in the quarantine that they are all in. Remy and her friends escape and start their way on the long mission of finding out where her brother is located. Along the way Remy befriends a lion, a rock star, and a guy named Blue, who is studying to be a doctor. Also there are the two girls who had escaped the quarantine with her, Harlow, and the other girl, Summer, who got bite by a zombie the moment they were running from the quarantine. I was very emotionally attached to the characters because they felt real. Lazlo, the rock star, was probably one of my favorites just because he was so unique. He was not street smart at all but that is where the strong, independent woman comes in. Another one of my favorite characters was Harlow. She was cute and had a good personality. She was very naive at times, but that is expected of a little girl.  Now I know you read there about how Remy befriended a lion. That lion kicked butt! Her name was Ripley and its because of her I wish I could have a pet lion. She was a zombie killing machine. One thing about the zombie virus is that it didn't effect the animals. So she was able to be with the group and kill/eat the zombies. Way cool.
There wasn't too much gore which I liked since I hate gory things. There was enough to make me cringe sometimes but it wasn't too bad at all. 

This is not going to be a normal review. I want you all to go get the book and read. I hate giving things away and right now there is so much I want to write but can't due to the people who haven't yet read it.
Go and buy the book!

Review for book two coming soon:)
(which is AMAZING by the way) 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Lovely Books. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig